
Argentina3 - 0Benin



[Continued from my previous review] The Copa Americas. The world cup. I've seen it all and I've felt a weird sense of satisfaction of watching a man win who I'll never meet in this lifetime (yet.) So, Thank you Messi. For ruining my perception of the game by making it look easy. For making me believe, it's okay to fall again and again and rely on others to pick yourself up. I'm tearing writing this. Thank you Messi, once again, from the bottom of my heart.

Argentina
Argentina3 - 0Benin



"I wish there was a way to know you’re in the good old days before you’ve actually left them." 2014 WC. Peer pressure got the best of me and I actually sat down to watch this guy that almost everyone (some said the guy in the red team was even better) in my class seemed to love. So I watch. And this guy who is supposed to be a forward kept dropping to the midfield to collect the ball and progress it further even with the presence of 3 midfielders behind him. "Isn't he supposed to play further forward?," I asked my friend. "Just wait and watch, Sonzu" The 65th minute rolls in. This man is in the midfield AGAIN! But instead of passing back, he fucked dribbles past his man and makes a beautiful pass to Higuain. Higuain takes a beautiful touch and lays it back to him. Messi moves on still looking to get a shot off. He dribbles past one. Fakes. Dribbles again. Fakes. "Just shoot already," I screamed. And then he fakes another shot. Two Bosnian players trip over each other. Messi finally shoots. And scores. I usually have a fuzzy memory. But I clearly remember the adrenaline I felt that day. 12 year old me couldn't stop jumping out of excitement. This was the day when me and my ragtag group of friends decided, "No more cricket. Football's on from tomorrow, boys." Kafka famously said, "In the struggle between yourself and the world, second the world." Unfortunately, Messi was never allowed this privilege. Year after year, all I would see was this man carrying an entire nation's hopes and dreams on his back and I took him for granted. Until 2016. With the infamous Copa final, I am shocked when he announced his retirement the next day and I regretted not cherishing him enough. It felt like the crown weighed heavily on him and he would soon abandon it because he felt he was never enough. Thankfully, I got to watch him for another 10 years. And through those times, I've seen this man blossom into fulfilling his full potential. [Continued in my next review]

Argentina
India1 - 6Uruguay



I read somewhere that if football were a game of 25 minutes, India would be World Champions already. I think we did much better than the scoreline suggests. Having Anirudh Thapa in the midfield playing as an orchestrator actually worked in the first half. We managed to break Uruguay's lines and create some good chances. The defense bar Sandhu was very bad. Made some very rudimentary mistakes and we still don't have a good ball playing CB to help both our midfield and defence. Ryan Williams, where would we be without you? Man created the chance that led to the goal and once again was the best player on the field for us. Shame he is 33 but he doesn't even look like it. Khalid Jamil is improving as a coach. He has let go of some of his haramball tendencies and coached a team which played some good football in pockets. I know we didn't win a single game this international break, but if you're an Indian fan you'll be proud of this team (given you actually watched the match, that is).


Uruguay
Croatia0 - 7England



Ts match so buns


England
India1 - 1Panama



I DON'T care if it was Panama's B team, but Khalid got his tactics spot on. Defended compactly in a low back and countered effectively. Thank you footballing gods for Ryan Williams, he's head and shoulders above everyone in this team and the run and finish for his goal was sublime. Think we were a bit passive in the second half, but only got undone by a screamer. But instead of retreating and huffing and puffing for a draw, Khalid actually made some good attacking subs. Character progression, I guess. Please don't let this be another false hope.

Tottenham0 - 0Everton



It gets to a point


Tottenham
Chelsea2 - 2Hull City



Missed the first half because Saturday is the only day the gang gets back together to play some post-dinner football, and I'd like to think that I did a better job defending than Chelsea. Not even surprised by the result. Same old problems and promises that both Xabi and the fans see through. Caicedo not being present on the field to screen our defence, when 6 players go forward, is still hurting us. At least it's evident we can play against low blocks. This was one of the major problems we had last season that Xabi solved, therefore creating a few more at the other end of the pitch. Hopefully we somehow cling on to a top 5 spot till January, when we can finally recruit a competent midfielder who fits Xabi's system. Belloumi is a star in the making whom I've enjoyed watching since his championship days. Kid's going right to the top.

Hull City
Club Brugge KV2 - 3Aston Villa


Emery once again proving why he is one of the best tacticians of the modern game. Brugge tried to set up a high line to mount some early pressure on an inexperienced Villa side who are still trying to find their rhythm after a poor start to the season. But without their best defender in Ordoñez, the back line lacked pace when a simple ball was played over it. Props to Jackson, who took on their CBs all by himself. One of his best qualities is that he's elite at linking everyone around him and stretching the backline. As good was his goal was, the 2nd goal shows why Emery rates him highly, even when the general discourse around him is highly critical. Gomes and Kamara have finally clicked, and both did a superb job covering for one another. Kamara, after his injury last season, is quietly turning out to be one of the best free transfers in the league. Can we take a moment to talk about Zion Suzuki? Villa's recruitment team did an amazing job buying him for 30M, and he already looks better than Martínez. Good with both feet, good positioning, and a calming presence at the back. He's young and will make mistakes, but he's got huge potential to become the best keeper in the world. Only UCL game worth watching (couldn't watch Lille-Betis ☹️)

Arsenal2 - 1Chelsea



Did we deserve to win this? Nope. Plagued with the same old problems of not controlling the match past the 20-minute mark. Losing Caicedo and not replacing Fernández is starting to cost us. Absolutely zero control of the midfield, and no one to cover for the defence when our RCB or LCB stepped up the pitch. And as good as Neto was moving up the pitch, he mostly left Acheampong deserted against Tzolis and Calafiori. I think a more defensive-minded wingback in Palestra would've done better. Thank Xabi for Emi Martínez, because this could've been way worse if not for him. I'd say Xabi made the best use of the players available to him and tweaked his tactics to get a fairer share of possession, trying to go toe-to-toe with the best team in England. Hopefully it turns out to be a repeat of the Chelsea 2016 moment, because we have the potential for a title run. Arteta set out to win and set up his team well after the early goal. Ødegaard, Rice, and Myles Lewis-Skelly cooked the Chelsea midfield, and we genuinely had no answers to their brilliance. As much as I hate him, Havertz is turning out to be one of the best number 9s in the league. Apart from his goal, his link-up play with the wingers and midfielders was top-tier, and the feint for the second goal was sublime. Ruined my weekend. Great game to end it though.


Arsenal
Everton2 - 2Man United



Tuned in for the second half. Could Carrick have managed the game well? Yes Was it actually the players who let down tools? Also yes So much space after Everton committed men forward for the equalizer, and they subbed of Mainoo who is the only one adept in evading the press and progressing the ball further down the field. Nice to see Everton finding their feet after a disastrous transfer window. United will land on their feet. Feels like they have figured out their best XI. But they need to work on conceding these stupid goals as the clock winds down. Happened vs Ipswich (didn't matter anyway) and now against Everton (Mattered a whole lot)


Everton
Inter3 - 2Napoli



After that horrendous Spurs match, Inter-Napoli worked as a great cleanser. First half was cagey, with both teams not wanting to concede early. Chivu's subs (Curtis Jones, M. Thuram) in the second half actually hurt Inter, and Napoli scored two in quick succession off some sketchy parrying from Josep Martinez, who still doesn't look convincing after Sommer's departure. After those goals, the game turned into a basketball match, with both teams throwing players forward and trying to score more. Lautaro with a true capitano performance, once again showing why he and Inter are a match made in heaven. Got the home crowd pumped up and Inter stepped up a gear. Best end to my night. Thank you Nerazzurri!!

Inter
Nott'm Forest0 - 0Tottenham



My spurs friends are okay, no? Every match, regardless of my affiliation, I try to find some positives because being kind is punk rock and all that, but holy fuck, Spurs are so bad. Apart from Bentancur and the defence, each and every one of this lot was piss poor. Feel like Mikey Moore should've stayed and Tel should be loaned out instead. Can't take on his man, slow with his reactions, and his overall game just isn't polished enough. On the bright side, 3 matches is too small a sample size to judge any club, so they still have 7 matches in which I (a professional Bookd tactico) can form a proper opinion. With Forest, I can at least sense some resemblance of a system. For all his faults, Delap actually used his physicality to bring the Forest front two and the midfield into the game. McAtee and Gibbs White are the heartbeat of this team, and Schlager and the fullbacks did their best to limit the Spurs frontline. All in all, a pretty mid match which almost put me to sleep.


Tottenham
Real Sociedad W0 - 1Chelsea W



Tbf I only watched the first half and the highlight of the Walsh goal (I had to wake up early today). Relatively easy win since we had nothing to do but defend. Loved Girma's front foot defending. Didn't let those Sociedad attackers breathe. Without Kerr and Ramirez up front, the lack of physicality was concerning. As good as AGB and LJ are, they play better when playing off a physical presence upfront. Onto our first UCL win!!!

Chelsea W
Barcelona5 - 2Rayo Vallecano



Rayo are in shambles rn. Best LB and CB leaving. The coach who led you to the UECL final and almost led you to Europe again getting food-chained by Villareal. A crumbling stadium. No like-for-like signings for the players you lost last season. Shit ain't easy. And despite that, they went toe-to-toe with the best club in the country for 60 minutes. No mean feat given the circumstances. Lamine and Raphinha picking up from where they left off last season. Still think Barca needs a number 9 who can act as a focal point (as good as Hamza is, he's still very raw) and aid Raphinha and Yamal during transitions. Espart continues to impress with his versatility. He and Gordon worked their socks off on that left wing. As a neutral, Barca vs Madrid might be fun again. #ViscaLa Madrid


Barcelona
Chelsea4 - 3Brighton



The usual Chelsea experience then? Control and press like demons for 20 minutes and then allow the opposition to take control of the match. Xabi saved the game with those subs tho. Lavia deserves so much love. Man has been through so much during his time at Chelsea getting unnecessarily flamed for something beyond his control. Frontline once again cooked. CPR (Cole said the old one sucked) balling for us once again. Even with all the goals conceded, Emi Martinez was a figure of calm and composure at the back. Made silly individual mistakes during defending but I trust Xabi. UTC!!

Chelsea
Tottenham0 - 2Newcastle



"It's da history of da spurs", "Tunnel oncoming train" and all that. Unironically though, I think Spurs weren't as bad as the scoreline suggested. The midfield seems to be finding its feet, with Fernandes and Bentancur in particular having some cute little exchanges throughout the match. Felt like Newcastle were much more efficient in taking their chances in front of goal. They may not have signed flashy players, but the signings of Dedic and Hornicek were astute. Also, picking up Jaissle from the Saudi League was a fine piece of recruitment from the Newcastle hierarchy. If they can keep hold of Lewis Hall this window, I feel like Newcastle may just have an outside shot at claiming those European places. Spurs just need to ride this out. Get another right winger who can actually take on his man instead of dallying on the ball, and they might do well. It's a big risk spending so much money on a transfer for one of the most volatile managers in recent football history, but I hope he's honed his skills after some horrid times at Brighton and Marseille.


Newcastle
Chelsea2 - 0Luton



Could've rested Palmer and Morgan but I trust Xabi to do the right thing. Barco fit into the system seamlessly. If this is the trajectory he follows, Enzo Fernandez can have fun with that rat at City. Penders didn't have much to do, excited to see him regardless. Gusto showing why you should not shoehorn every fullback in the world into midfield. That interplay with Chavaria and Estevao was solid and that assist to Welback reminded me of Poch-era Gusto (2nd best player after Palmer imo) Special shoutout to Josh Keeley for keeping Luton in this game. One of THE best goalkeeping performances in recent times

Luton
Chelsea W5 - 2Real Sociedad W



I would donate all my organs to Lucy Bronze if Sonia wanted her to play every game this season. Her passing and defending makes this team miles better. LJ with the usual. Doesn't even surprise me with just how good she is on the ball

Chelsea W
Fulham2 - 3Chelsea



I don't wish to overreact but we are winning the league, mate!!! JP Morgan and Co are so fluid in their movement, they made me fall in love again with transitional football. Lacroix was commanding at the back. Made that CCB position his own. Robert Sanchez ensuring that I get my weekly high blood pressure. This season has to be the one where we properly compete for the title and if we are to do so, open that checkbook one last time for a competent goalkeeper, BlueCo 🙏🏼


Chelsea
bookd.